Thursday, October 9, 2014

She's the Oldest One Here

I would like to start by thanking my parents for giving me such youthful looking skin and while I am in my thirties, I still look like I should be in my early twenties.


Left- High School  Right- Two years ago
God bless genetics!

There have been times over the years when people have mistaken my age. My friends favorite story to tell is when we went to eat at a sports bar after a collegiate basketball game and they all checked IDs. They checked mine at first with no issues, we are about to walk in when the security guy stops and said he made a mistake and thought I was under 21. (PS. I was 30) A good friend of mine responded with "Wait, she's the oldest one here" so now it's a running joke wherever we go.

Fast forward to 2014 and this past week. Since it was indeed homecoming weekend, I attended a local establishment and they carded everyone as they entered. They stopped me and asked if I could state my address, to make sure I was who I said I was. Once again, I was the oldest one there in my group. Yes, I have changed my hair since my last ID photo was taken, but really? Do I look that much different? Naturally, I took it as a compliment and thought to myself, "Yep, I still look like a college student." I also believe that by working on a college campus and being surrounded by students they keep you young. It's everyone who works in higher education's fountain of youth, that and benefit makeup ;)

Fast forward to last night. I attended my sorority's initiation, because a very close friend of mine whom I have watched grow from a child to an adult was being initiated, and I got to be part of that.

It was a lovely evening, and will always be a special moment I got to share with her.


Afterwards, a group from the chapter went to dinner. As we were leaving another new member came up to Deveney and me and said, "It's really cool that your mom got to be here tonight." SHE THOUGHT I WAS HER MOM. Just five days before someone thought I was under 21, then last night someone else thought I was old enough to have a college freshman as a child. I am still trying to process all what happened. So I am just going to go watch Gossip Girl, listen to Taylor Swift and go buy a new North Face Jacket to cope.

No comments:

Post a Comment